Career Profiles and Employment Projections
Sewers (Hand): Jobs, Career, Salary and Education Information
What Sewers Do
Sew, join, reinforce, or finish, usually with needle and thread, a variety of manufactured items. Includes weavers and stitchers.
- 2020 employment: 6,900
- May 2021 median annual wage: $29,930
Job Outlook for Sewers
Projected employment change, 2020-30:
- Number of new jobs: -700
- Growth rate: -10 percent (Decline)
How to Become a Sewer
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: No formal educational credential
- Work experience in a related occupation: None
- Typical on-the-job training: Moderate-term on-the-job training
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.