Career Profiles and Employment Projections
Pipelayers: Jobs, Career, Salary and Education Information
What Pipelayers Do
Lay pipe for storm or sanitation sewers, drains, and water mains. Perform any combination of the following tasks: grade trenches or culverts, position pipe, or seal joints. Excludes Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers.
- 2020 employment: 35,100
- May 2021 median annual wage: $45,980
Job Outlook for Pipelayers
Projected employment change, 2020-30:
- Number of new jobs: -500
- Growth rate: -1 percent (Little or no change)
How to Become a Pipelayer
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: No formal educational credential
- Work experience in a related occupation: None
- Typical on-the-job training: Short-term on-the-job training
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.