Career Profiles and Employment Projections
Highway Maintenance Workers: Career Information
Highway Maintenance Workers
What Highway maintenance workers Do
Maintain highways, municipal and rural roads, airport runways, and rights-of-way. Duties include patching broken or eroded pavement and repairing guard rails, highway markers, and snow fences. May also mow or clear brush from along road, or plow snow from roadway. Excludes Tree Trimmers and Pruners.
Highway maintenance worker Salaries
- 2020 employment: 153,800
- May 2021 median annual wage: $45,880
Job Outlook for Highway maintenance workers
Projected employment change, 2020-30:
- Number of new jobs: 9,300
- Growth rate: 6 percent (As fast as average)
How to Become a Highway maintenance worker
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: High school diploma or equivalent
- Work experience in a related occupation: None
- Typical on-the-job training: Moderate-term on-the-job training
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.