Career Profiles and Employment Projections
Furnace, Kiln, Oven, Drier, and Kettle Operators
Furnace, Kiln, Oven, Drier, and Kettle Operators and Tenders
What They Do
Operate or tend heating equipment other than basic metal, plastic, or food processing equipment. Includes activities such as annealing glass, drying lumber, curing rubber, removing moisture from materials, or boiling soap.
- 2020 employment: 17,800
- May 2021 median annual wage: $43,710
Projected employment change, 2020-30:
- Number of new jobs: 900
- Growth rate: 5 percent (Slower than average)
How to Become One
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: High school diploma or equivalent
- Work experience in a related occupation: None
- Typical on-the-job training: Moderate-term on-the-job training
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.