Career Profiles and Employment Projections
Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Operators
Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
What They Do
Set up, operate, or tend machines, such as glass-forming machines, plodder machines, and tuber machines, to shape and form products such as glassware, food, rubber, soap, brick, tile, clay, wax, tobacco, or cosmetics. Excludes Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders and Shoe Machine Operators and Tenders.
- 2020 employment: 65,600
- May 2021 median annual wage: $37,660
Projected employment change, 2020-30:
- Number of new jobs: 800
- Growth rate: 1 percent (Little or no change)
How to Become One
Education and training:
- Typical entry-level education: High school diploma or equivalent
- Work experience in a related occupation: None
- Typical on-the-job training: Moderate-term on-the-job training
Get the education you need: Find schools near you!
*Some content used by permission of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor.